Photos of Mushroom Crumble with Creamy Sage & Spanish Smoked Paprika Sauce by Mario
Hello food lovers!
Have you ever had a savoury crumble? Well, if you haven’t, you’re in for a treat!
What we’re going to cook today is Mushroom Crumble with Our Pesto crumble topping. What we really like about this dish, apart from the fact that it’s quick and easy to make, is that it can be adjusted to your needs, meaning that this recipe gives you an idea of the structure and layers of the dish, however the filling (creamy mushrooms) can be substituted with a similar cream-based one. Also, by multiplying the ingredients you could cook it in an oven proof dish and let everyone at the table help themselves, rather than preparing individual helpings 🙂
But enough of the technical stuff! Food is fun, and above all – delicious and nutritious! For example, both spinach and mushrooms are rich sources of B Vitamins, some of the dietary minerals, and also low in calories.
So let’s get to it and treat yourselves to our moreish Mushroom Crumble 🙂
Mushroom Crumble with Creamy Sage & Spanish Smoked Paprika Sauce
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: approx. 45 minutes
Recipe by Tom
- 3 slices of white bread
- 3 tbsp Our Pesto
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 50 g onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely sliced/grated
- 150 g spinach
- 120 g button mushrooms, cut in half and sliced
- 20 g butter
- 4 tbsp double cream for mushrooms
- 150 ml double cream for sauce
- Half a tsp fresh sage, finely chopped
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Sea salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Firstly, grab a bowl, tear the bread into small pieces and mix together with Our Pesto, then set aside.
- Take 3 stainless steel rings (10 cm/4 inches in diameter), rub the inside of the rings with olive oil and place them on a baking tray lined with baking paper, the set aside.
- Heat up a large non stick pan with 1 tbsp of olive oil on a medium heat, add onions and cook for about 3 minutes, just to soften them up.
- Add garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook for 5 – 7 minutes, or until all of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add cream, turn the heat up and reduce until nice and thick, approx. 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, then take off of the heat and set aside.
- In another large pan, wilt the spinach down, add butter, season with salt and pepper, then take off of the heat.
- Divide the spinach equally between all of the rings, pat it down with a spoon and make sure the layer is level.
- Divide the mushroom mix equally between all of the rings, pat it down with a spoon and make sure the layer is level.
- Top mushrooms with bread and Our Pesto mix.
- Cook crumbles in pre heated oven, 180 degrees Celsius, for about 5 minutes, until nice and golden
- In the meantime, pour cream into a small pan, add sage and Spanish smoked paprika, season with salt and pepper, and reduce for a few minutes until nice and thick.
- Take the crumbles out of the oven, transfer each one onto a separate plate, slide the rings off, pour over the sauce and enjoy!
- Like I mentioned before, you can multiply the recipe and cook it in an oven proof dish – just remember that it could take a few minutes longer in the oven.
- You can use bread crumbs rather than bread slices, however my advice is to not mix the bread crumbs with pesto prior to baking – sprinkle bread crumbs all over the top of the mushrooms, then drizzle with Our Pesto.
- If you would like this recipe to be gluten free, just use gluten free bread for the topping.