Photo of Vegetarian Bolognese by Mario
This week we have a very simple recipe for a Vegetarian Bolognese using a couple of our other recipes: Our Tomato Sauce and Our Homemade Pasta.
If you are familiar with our previous recipes, those two in particular, then this Vegetarian Bolognese recipe is going be very straightforward for you, like a piece of cake! Well, maybe not literally 🙂
Apart from Our Tomato Sauce and Our Homemade Pasta there’s a few vegetables, as well as lentils that you’re going to need for this dish. Lentils are a great source of fibre and B vitamins, making it a diet staple all over the world.
This recipe is also suitable for vegans (when using eggless pasta recipe) and those of you with dairy intolerance. The sauce itself is gluten free.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: approx. 45 minutes
Total time: approx. 60 minutes
Recipe by Tom
- One batch of Our Homemade Pasta
- 100 g green lentils, rinsed under cold water
- Half a carrot, peeled and finely grated or diced
- Quarter of a medium sized courgette, finely grated or diced
- Half an onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp of sweetcorn
- Half a yellow pepper, finely diced
- 300 ml Our Tomato Sauce
- Sea salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Prepare Our Homemade Pasta in advance, cut into desired shape, then get a pan of water ready for cooking later.
- In another pan, bring a litre of salted water to the boil, drop the lentils in and cook for about 35 – 40 minutes, until soft but slightly firm in the middle. Drain the lentils. In the meantime follow the instructions below.
- While the lentils are cooking, take a large pan, add oil and cook carrot, courgette, onion, sweetcorn and yellow pepper for about 5 minutes, until soft.
- Add Our Tomato Sauce, bring to the boil and turn the heat off. When lentils are ready, add them to the sauce. Just before serving, bring it back to the boil and check the seasoning.
- Cook Our Homemade Pasta according to instructions, divide into three portions and serve in large shallow bowls, top with hot Vegetarian Bolognese and enjoy 🙂
- Given the fact that Our Tomato Sauce already carries some flavour, the vegetables listed in the ingredients of this recipe are just a guideline, you can use any of your favourite veg. Having said that, I consider carrots, courgettes and onions as base veg ingredients.
- You can go traditional way and cut your pasta into Tagliatelle, but feel free to experiment with different shapes and sizes
- You can use different type of lentils, or even replace them with quinoa or beans, such as cannellini or kidney beans.