Photos of Our Tomato Sauce by Mario
We are going to start with something that you’ll quite often find in Mediterranean cooking – a tomato sauce.
You might think ‘this is simple’ – and you’re right, it is simple yet very exciting! How can something as simple as tomato sauce be exciting? Just think about it, Paella, Bolognese, Lasagna, Arrabiata – all of that delicious food have one thing in common… yes, tomato sauce!
Our recipe is very easy and only takes minutes to prepare. A few ingredients put together resulting in a delicious, full of flavour base for a lot of Mediterranean dishes. Have a look on our recipe below and try it yourself – you’ll love it!
Our Tomato Sauce
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
Total Time: 35 Minutes
- Olive Oil
- 2 big or 3 small Garlic Cloves
- Handful of fresh Basil
- 800 g Chopped Plum Tomatoes
- 150 ml Water
- Sea Salt
- Freshly Cracked Black Peppercorns
- Heat up olive oil in a deep pan.
- Crush garlic with a knife, then chop finely. Add garlic and whole basil leaves into the pan and gently fry for 2-3 minutes (until pale brown).
- Add chopped plum tomatoes, rinse the cans with water and add it to the pan. Cook on a medium heat for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season the sauce with sea salt and cracked black pepper.
Don’t fry the garlic for too long, otherwise it will release a bitter flavour in to the sauce.
Our Tomato Sauce is Gluten Free, Dairy Free, it has no added sugar and is suitable for Vegetarians and Vegans.