Photos of Homemade Pasta by Mario
Today we’re going to prepare something that plays a big part in Italian food – Homemade Pasta!
We all have to admit that pasta is fundamental when it comes to Italian cuisine. For me, the fact that by combining three or even only two ingredients you can create some sort of a base for literally infinite number of dishes, is absolutely mind-blowing!
Now, I know that nowadays you can buy all sorts of pasta pretty much everywhere, but I’m encouraging you to give my recipe a go. Firstly because it’s mega easy, secondly it’s fun doing it, but above all – once you try your own homemade pasta, you will never want to go back!
Prep time: 1 hour 15 minutes (including resting time)
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 25 minutes
Recipe by Tom
- 120 g/4.2 oz ‘00’ flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tbsp milk or water
Or for eggless pasta
- 100 g ’00’ flour
- 40 ml water
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl, then make a well in the middle.
- Break the eggs into the well, add milk/water and ‘whip’ the wet ingredients together using a fork until combined. Then start mixing it with flour using your hands.
- If you’re going for the eggless recipe, there’s no need for a fork, just start mixing the flour and water using your hands, then follow the rest of the instructions.
- Once all ingredients are combined, take it out of the bowl and place on a working surface dusted with a little flour. Kneed the dough using back of your palm, stretching it for 8 – 10 min until smooth, then wrap in cling film and rest in the fridge for 30 min.
- Divide pasta dough into 3 equal parts.
- Roll it through the pasta machine starting with the thickest setting, fold the pasta dough over and repeat it two more times. This process will ‘warm up’ the dough and get it ready for action!
- Roll the dough through the pasta machine, gradually lowering the setting, until required thickness.
- When ready, roll it through your choice of pasta machine attachment or simply roll the pasta into a ‘log’ or fold it using your hands and cut with a knife into desired width. Repeat the rolling process with the other two parts of the dough.
- Spread the pasta on a clean towel to dry.
- In a large pot, bring the water to the boil, season with salt and cook pasta for about 2 – 3 min till al dente, then strain and serve immediately with your choice of sauce.
- This recipe can be used for all sorts of different pasta shapes and sizes – tagliatelle, linguine, pasta sheets, ravioli etc.